A 12-year-old boy has died from a cardiac arrest after being forced to run at school in extreme heat for wearing the wrong clothes.
Yahshua Robinson, nicknamed YaYa, died after he passed out in a field during his PE class at Canyon Lake Middle School, in Lake Elsinore, California, on Tuesday.
A teacher reportedly ignored his pleas for help and was forced to run in the sweltering conditions.
The boy’s aunt Amarna Plummer said: ‘Despite the response and care of medical professionals, Yahshua tragically succumbed to cardiac arrest at the hospital.
‘He was reaching out to the teacher, saying he needed some water. He said he couldn’t breathe. He was telling the kids this.
‘Why would you have a child in his clothes – he didn’t dress out – running a field?’
Riverside County Sheriff’s spokesperson Sergeant Deirdre Vickers said emergency crews rushed to the school after they received a call at around 11am.
But Yahshua was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital the next day.
Lake Elsinore Unified School District expressed its condolences in a statement and said their admins would provide counselling to students and staff.
District spokesperson Melissa Valdes said: ‘In this difficult moment, we are deeply saddened to confirm the passing of one of our students due to a medical emergency on one of our LEUSD campuses.
‘Our hearts are with the family, friends and our school community.’
The boy’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to cover the costs of the funeral.
As of Thursday morning nearly $34,000 had been raised towards their goal of $40,000.
The family said in the fundraiser: ‘The void Yahshua leaves behind is profound. Janae and Eric Robinson and their three other children are trying to come to terms with this devastating reality.
The agony of losing a child is indescribable, and as we wait with heavy hearts for the autopsy results, we are reminded of the unpredictability of life.
‘It is during times like these that we as a community can come together to support one another. We humbly ask for your assistance to help alleviate the financial strain this sudden tragedy has placed upon Yahshua’s family.”
They added: ‘We know that Yahshua was loved by many, and we appreciate everyone helping us to grieve his loss.
‘We are still in shock and disbelief over Yahshua’s death. He was a bright, talented, and loving child with a bright future ahead of him. We are struggling to understand why this happened.’
The department said an investigation into the incident has been launched but would not disclose further details.